Monday, November 26, 2012

Thanksgiving on the beach

75 expats and fellow travelers (like us) gathered at 18 for Thanksgiving. The resturants are numbered along the beach front, and although they all have names it is easier for gringos to just refer to the numbers each has as part of their sign.

Our table with Joe in the red shirt, Justin and Janet (his new bride), John standing with his lovely Ecuadorian wife of 3 years, Jassolyne who was moving quickly and almost escaped the picture completely.
We had turkey, dressing, mixed steamed veggies, purple sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, mushroom rosotti, and rolls. I even got a drumstick! For dessert we had rum cake, pumpkin pie and apple pie. The meal serving was orderly; however, the dessert was a free-for-all. I'm not real proud to report I had 4 slices of apple pie with whipped cream. In my defense the pieces were thin cut and the pie was not very thick, with a half inch apple layer. Something may have slipped a bit in the translation. On the plus side the whipped cream was a real treat - very stiff, very thick, and I think slightly sweetened. During my second attack on the dessert table I wielded the serving spoon with abandon and hid my apple pie in a rough textured white mountain. I think I heard an artery snap shut; but I rely on the satin drug I take every night (just like every man over 50 does - or should) to roto-router my arteries while in nightly repose.

Note you can just make out the beach and Pacific ocean in the background. I still don't miss snow and cold weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment