Thursday, September 5, 2013

Hills of Rome

Today De Anne suggested a stroll in Rome's big park - Villa Borghese. Yes, those are obelisks, but they don't count - not Egyptian.
I need to start reading the guide book. This was a big park! We finally reached the lake in the center and it was a lovely spot. Not the ducks making wakes in a dash towards us.

After completing the park tour De Anne suggested we visit Spanish Steps again since she did not climb them on our first visit and it was "close by". That trek put us close to Trevi Fountain, so why not a return visit there too? Now Capitoline Hill was close so.... Up the hill I went. The smallest and tallest of the seven hills of Rome. 
The statue of Marcus Aurelius is the oldest surviving bronze monument from Roman times. The folks in the Middle Ages mis-identified it as Constantine raising his hand in a blessing so they did not destroy it like so many other Roman statues.

A gardener getting instruction on shaping shrubs for Romulus and Remus under the wolf.
We finished our walk at the Colosseum subway stop yet again. Passing the Forum I have yet to tire of gazing across to Palatine Hill.

Now, on a totally different note. I am getting tired of being felt up on every bus and tram. I have been handled more than lap dancer this week. At least they are very gentle. You hardly feel it when they start. One guy got careless today and when I spun around he hopped of the tram quickly. My euro bills are in a cargo pocket with a double Velcro flap and I have a big safety pin sealing the pocket under the flap. They are welcome to anything they can find in the other pockets. I always stand on the tram with that pocket and my belt mounted camera pressed against a pole. It was funny the first few times, now it is just tiresome. Still better than violent American criminals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment