Friday, July 4, 2014

Calm before the storm

Knowing that Hurricane Arthur was going to put a damper on things Saturday we took a stroll on the beach during the falling tide. We reached the town dock and found a couple sail boats tucked away for the storm. 

On the way home I got the bright idea to cut across the flats. I see people out on the flats every day walking around. This may be because of that singularly important item called "local knowledge". I on the other hand discovered a mud bank and promptly sank several inches. My shoes were trapped and I had to step out of them and yank them out of the suction of the mud, then head for rocky high ground. De Anne, who had declined to accompany me through the flats, was quite amused. Lucky for me I was near an ice cold mountain stream and standing in the frigid water I was able clean myself and my shoes.

The Parrsboro dock an hour before low tide
The force of the tide is not evident unless flowing over an obstacle.
OK, I will NOT be testing the validity of this warning notice on the log. "DANGER QUICKSAND"

No comments:

Post a Comment