Thursday, October 27, 2011

Where the boys are

Way back when I was gainful employed and a dutiful taxpaying citizen wandering the streets of downtown Indianapolis most of my throughts centered on "How am I ever going to get out of here?"; but occasionally I would raise my eyes and notice the lack of men my age. I would think "Where are they?" and more importantly, "Is there a secret place for men in their 50's I didn't hear about?"

There are plenty of women in their 50's in America. I see them everywhere. When not at work, they are walking small dogs. Usually fluffy and white (the dog, not the woman), and maybe a jaunty, pink bow - even if it's a male. The pink bow on the dog is a signal to any man - this woman WILL control you given the chance. Sorry, I digress. But, first a personal note - My lovely wife of 30 years likes big, tough dogs, without bows.

Now having left the cloistered environment of Indianapolis, Indiana I have discovered the whereabouts of those missing men. Some are living on decrepited boats in Florida. Others are in Panama, and a pile of them are in the Dominican Republic. "Why?" you ask. Well, the tropical setting (older men don't like the cold), a cheaper cost-of-living to stretch that pension or 401k, and well.... ahem, short-term, nonconversational companionship. Not everything that's a crime in America is a crime elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment