Monday, October 22, 2012

Weekend at Linda's

It was a busy weekend!

I developed a slight sinus infection so a visit to the pharmacy was required. Unlike America, in Ecuador prescription drugs do not need a doctor's script. The pharmacist discusses your symptoms with you and decides on the necessary medications.

We arrived at the drugstore still deciding how best to overcome the language barrier. Linda met a Russian expat she knew who was fluent in English and Spanish; however, she did not know the Spanish word for "sinus". We took a number, waited our turn, and called Geri - a German who works for Linda and somewhat fluent in Spanish. When it was my turn at the counter I handed the phone to the pharmacist. Gari was able to tell him "The man has a stuffy head". The pharmacist handed the phone back to me and said in perfect English "So you have a sinus infection?". We discussed the symptoms and he gave me two drugs for a total cost of $14.

 Two days after starting the meds I developed some gastronomic problems. I Googled the meds I was given and discovered they were more powerful than those commonly used in America, and a frequent side-effect was exactly what I was experiencing. I have quit eating for a few days and due to my more than ample body reserves am now on the road to recovery.

Sunday was to be a day of rest; however, as usual things came up. Linda and De Anne gave a Manta tour for 2 American couples. In return they bought lunch for Linda and De Anne. Unfortunately they paid the check with a credit card. They said they had used it many times over the past few days. Too bad, I am sure their credit card is now in wider use throughout Ecuador than they anticipate. Having heard far too many horror stories about credit cards in Ecuador my wallet stays in our room safe and I carry only cash (split between 2 different pockets) and a photocopy of our passports.

After depositing the American couples back at their hotel Linda and De Anne picked me up and we headed to the Manta airport to pickup a returning expat couple. Howard and Judy were a very nice couple and gave us a tour of their home. They own the entire top floor penthouse in an upscale building with a large 3 sided terrace overlooking the ocean and the city. They took us out for dinner. I just had bottled water but Linda and De Anne ended Sunday eating free all day.

In the picture below is a 10 year-old Ecuadorian boy who is an expert kite surfer. I watched him execute many flips and rolls with ease. The girl in the picture is Jennifer, also an accomplished kite sufer who uses Linda's outdoor shower every afternoon - coincidentally with the time that the male population of the cafe reaches its daily peak.

No comments:

Post a Comment