Monday, June 17, 2013

Tourists on the loose

De Anne decided we had to try out a couple of bus lines we would be using during our month in Paris, so we walked to Gard De Lyon train station to buy the budget book of bus/subway tickets. Thus armed we boarded the 83 bus which took off while I was still trying to remove the plastic wrapper from the ticket book. De Anne tracked our progress while I was just along for the ride.

Obediently, I exited the bus on her command and followed her across a couple streets. She stopped suddenly, said "brace yourself", took a couple more steps and my confusion disappeared. This was the sight I saw:

We walked through the plaza, down a long set of steps into a fountain area :

Looking back after walking down the fountain plaza the big water jets came on:

We crossed the Seine and wandered under the Eiffel Tower and along the promenade. 

Back to business - De Anne located the stop for our return bus, the 69. I had to get this picture which is the most photogenic bus stop I have ever seen:

Upon our return to our apartment we walked to market to stock the larder for a few days. French bread (cheap because it is subsidized by the government), cheese, pesto, and wine were a few of the necessities. Ever the cheapskates, we bought a couple bottles of wine for €1.77. I have a glass in front of me as I write this and it is surprisingly good!

The one discordant note of the day is that all pastry shops close Sunday afternoon and all day on Monday. We WILL hit it hard tomorrow.






No comments:

Post a Comment