Friday, July 22, 2011

Change you can count on

Panama is a cash based society. A very few, upscale places take credit cards; however the places we frequent are cash only. We pay off our credit cards every month; but this was the first cycle in a decade with no charges. I could get used to seeing zero balances!

Change is a problem. I have learned to carry a couple dollars in change everywhere. My first learning experience regarding the need for change came at a fruit stand. De Anne bought 2 bananas for 15 cents. I handed the clerk a quarter. She looked puzzled for a moment, then handed me another banana. We left before it dawned on me that the first two bananas cost me seven and a half cents apiece and the third ten cents. I hope to survive the financial loss of two and a half cents.

Even at the supermarket the cashiers will ask for exact change. They will wait until you dig into your pocket, pull out your change, examine it with you, and only after verifying you can't make correct change will they part with their precious coins.

Speaking of fruit stands... We have figured out the produce market here. All fruit stands sell bananas individually here. They get the bananas that fall off the stalks during picking. Stalks of bananas are shipped off, but those that fall off are sold local. We see trucks go by with sacks of softball size onions while all we can buy are the golfball size.

I'm not complaining – the wide variety of produce we get is fresh and cheap. Pineapples are a real treat. One dollar gets a just picked, perfectly ripe pineapple that is sweet as candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment