Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Cultural Differences

De Anne likes to take hikes with me. Even though I slow her down and she can't cover 10 or 15 miles with me in tow, she can wear shorts when I am along as bodyguard.

Panamanian men seem to think that exposed knees and thighs are the mark of a loose woman requiring horn honking and catcalls. I have yet to see a Panamanian woman in less than capri pants.

Tops are a whole different issue. Young Panamanian women can wear the barest of flimsy, plunging tops without causing a stir, but show a little knee and the men go wild.

De Anne packed some jeans; however, for the longer hikes they were too warm later in the day. We found a pair of cotton capris in a local store for $10 and that solved the problem of her solo walks.

Tuesday morning Ex-pat market:


The view from our front porch:

No comments:

Post a Comment