Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Welcome to Spain

We spent last night in Paris and had a 7:20 am flight to Barcelona. After picking up luggage and buying train tickets into the center of Barcelona we lucked out with a train waiting for us. In Barcelona we had to buy tickets to our final destination - Tarragona. Again a very short wait. Luck was about to run out.

Because De Anne's suitcase is a monster it has not fit in a single luggage rack in Europe. In Belgium I left it in the train door area and just kept an eye on it. I did the same this time and we had the closest seats to the door. 

That worked out good when a large group of thieves boarded the train. Of course at the time we did not know they were a gang. I managed to jump up and grab the bag just as one of the thieves picked it up. Three guys all squeezed in on me. I rammed my way, rather hard, between two of them with the suitcase and put it in my seat and leaned on it. Just then a woman with a British accent began raising a ruckus about her bag being stolen. Lots of yelling and screaming, most not in English, but a lot of confusion and people milling around in the aisle.

Taking inventory of my pockets, I realize €15 is missing from my front pants pocket. I did not even bring my wallet to Europe, having expected this to happen. Passports, Drivers license, and two credit cards are in a neck wallet tucked under a tight undershirt with a heavy shirt over that. Cash is in a money belt except a little bit for traveling. I had already bought two sets of train tickets so the poor pickpocket was shorted. I am sure he will make it up in volume.

Then, on arrival, an even bigger problem. My Italian cell phone which worked in France and Belgium does not work in Spain. Our apartment is only 3 blocks from the train station so we went there. As I suspected it was a locked buzzer door. A man walked up and between my tiny bit of Spanish, his tiny bit of English and a lot of sign language he got across that he did not have a cell phone but pointed to a call store on the next block. These stores have Internet access, sell cell phones and minutes, and have a few phone booths for local calls. Using, once again, my tiny Spanish I sweet talked the clerk into making the phone call to the apartment company. He hung up and said "5 minutos". Sure enough, 5 minutes later the leasing agent showed up.

We walked the town, mainly looking for a supermarket, but by this time it was 2:00pm and everything was closed. Siesta time is in force here. 1:00pm until 4:00pm do not expect anything to be open. 

Nothing left to do but head for the beach.

The plaza across from the beach. Our apartment is one block up on the right of this street.

The beach was fantastic. Warm, clear water, soft sand and beautiful people (except for the occasional person such as myself). After walking this beach with our toes in the water, it was clear why people flock to the Mediterranean beaches.
From the board walk.
We have just come back from the now open market, stocked up. We have a walk around plan for tomorrow. Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment